Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- Knife, chisel, sharp stone, or other cutting tool
- Kiln or possibly just a fire
- Cut the wood into a long narrow block, square on the end and about ten times as long as it is tall/wide.
- Make a groove in the wood, so that it now has a profile that is more U-shaped than square.
- Prepare the pencil lead:
- If solid lead is available (only known deposite at Seathwaite Fell near Borrowdale, Cumbria, England) cut it into the size and shape to fit into the groove.
- Otherwise, take the powdered graphite and mix with clay. Form into needed size and shape, and fire in the kiln.
- Attach the lead to the wooden groove either by simply gluing it in place, or by cutting another wooden strip and gluing it between the groove and strip.
- Use the knife to make a point on one end of the pencil.
See also Edit