Tar file can come compressed or uncompressed. Generally that are compressed using gzip or bzip2. The program, tar, will uncompress both types and extract the files from archive.
- Type at the command prompt
- tar xvzf file-1.0.tar.gz - to uncompress a gzip tar file (.tgz or .tar.gz)
- tar xvjf file-1.0.tar.bz2 - to uncompress a bzip2 tar file (.tbz or .tar.bz2)
- tar xvf file-1.0.tar - to uncompressed tar file (.tar)
- x = eXtract, this indicated an extraction c = create to create )
- v = verbose (optional) the files with relative locations will be displayed.
- z = gzip-ped; j = bzip2-zipped
- f = from/to file ... (what is next after the f is the archive file)
- The files will be extracted in the current folder (most of the times in a folder with the name 'file-1.0').