Sprouts are quite easy to grow and very nutritious.
- sprouting seeds or beans
- jar or container that can easily be drained
- purchase the beans or seeds.
- Soak the seeds for around 6 hours. more for larger beans, less for smaller seeds
- Drain the water and rinse
- get a container that can drain easily, is mostly seal able, and has a large area for the seeds to sit in a thin pool or water
- spread the seeds evenly across the bottom
- fill container with water to the height of 1/4 the bean or seeds height (very thin, little water)
- Place container in a dark place
- drain water FULLY and refill 2 to 3 times a day.
- this is very important
- rinse if possible
- if its not too difficult remove hulls and non-germinating seeds. It isn't necessary but helps.
- if a low percentage of seeds start to sprout, throw them away(in your compost bin) and buy better sprouting seeds. 80-90% of your seeds should sprout in a day or two.
- Sprouts can be eaten from the first signs for sprouting to when the second set of leaves appear. They are generally better harvested when the first leaves appear, but many people have differing preferences.
- Once your sprouts are almost to full height, place in indirect sunlight for 1/2 to 1 day
- Rinse well and refrigerate