Spam is a major problem in this world, occupying most email transactions and tormenting many Internet users.
Set up a secondary email accountEdit
This is the most important step. In many cases you are required to supply an email address to do thing on the Internet. Setting up a spare junk email account, is a good idea. This way you can use this email address when you need to confirm a registration, and not worry about additional crap later.
- Sign up for a free email account
- remember the account name and password as you may need to check it on occasion for email confirmations.
- Use this email address for any site or service that you don't trust
- Remember that most sites offering free services will probably send you spam or sell your address
- When in doubt use your secondary account
Don't post your email publiclyEdit
- If your email address is shown on any website, a spammer will get you address and spam you to death
- Spammers have scripts, aka bots, that search the entire web for email addresses, and they do it well
Techniques for posting your address (bot-proof)Edit
- normal: email@example.com
- all text: name (at) address (dot) com
- This is commonly used so spammers have or will figure it out