Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This is the old Demo page, please goto the Main Page for WikiHowTo
This page is only kept for historical reference
- Type of tar file: First figure out what is the compression, if any, by the extension. *.tar is uncompressed. *.tgz and *.tar.gz are compressed with gzip. *.tar.bz2 is compressed with bzip2
- Compression: For bzip2 you use the 'j' flag. For gzip you use the 'z' flag. and for tar you don't not use a compression flag.
- Extracting files: Use the 'x' for extract and the 'f' flag to indicate file
- Verbose: you can add a 'v' flag to have the program display the extracted files, but this is nto necessary.
- Exicuting the command: to extract the archive, type at the command prompt
tar zxvf file-1.0.tar.gz for a gzip compress tar file tar jxvf file-1.0.tar.bz2 for a bzip2 compressed tar file tar xvf file-1.0.tar for uncompressed tar file
- Generally the files will be extracted in a folder with the files name 'file-1.0'. IF you used verbose, the relative location on the files will be displayed along with the extracted file names.